Please help! I'm a beginner.

2013. August 25., thread
Forum » Hardware
Comments: 179
Please login to post a comment.
no avatar
Hey guys I wanted to ask a question cause i'm a total beginner with pc and upgrade... I hope i'm on the good topic.

I can get the following build for free from a friend :

Just so you know it's not a prebuild pc.

Intel Pentium G5400 (Dual-Core Cache 4 Mo 54W)
Chipset Intel H310 Express
Motherboard GIGABYTE H310M-S2H V2
DDR4 2400 MHz 8GB G.SKILL
SSD 512GB Kingston A2000
Intel HD Graphics 610
case ANTEC VSK 3000 ELITE-U3
PSU Corsair CX450M 450W

I know it's not a decent build to play (though it's ok to a simple use)

My question is : Do you think I can turn this build step by step into a pretty decent build for gaming ? I'm not looking for a 2000 bucks high end gaming build just to be clear.

I have another question also : do you think I might get blocked in the process of upgrading by one of the parts of this build (like Motherboard or RAM or PSU maybe)?
It's not a prebuild pc but i want to know before investing in it.

I hope I'm clear enough on my request anfd I thank you for your help 😀
💬 4
bagusprs avatar
@Shenlong: hi and yes u can turn it into decent low budget 1080p gaming.. i guess maybe you can start with the processor or adding dedicated gpu with this build.
other part definitely ok , for the psu i think that's enough for at least if you want an upgrade all the way up to i5 9400F. go for the standart or F version, the motherboard not really suitable with i5 with K version since h310 chipset doesn't support overclocking. but that board still decent for basic everyday use even gaming.

and for the gpu i think you can go all the way up to gtx 1650 super or at least gtx 1660 max on nvidia side, or maybe go for more budget option with amd RX 560 but not recommended since the performance u get its not really for long-term. or maybe go for RX 570 but that thing consume more power but still fine with your current psu.

so the choices is yours. 😀
no avatar
@bagusprs: Thank you for your answer ! 😀

I looked for the chipset compatibility of the motherboard and it seems like even a I7 9700F is compatible with the h310 express chipset... what do you think about this ?
I was thinking of changing the CPU first (I7 9700F), adding 16gb of ram (ddr4 2666), adding a 1660 (I can get it for 100€)
I can spend around 600€ just so you know (350 for the CPU, 100 for the GPU and and 150€ for the RAM and maybe some more for a more recent motherboard)

What's your opinion about this ?

I know it's kind of some dumb questions but as far as I know what are the components, I don't know how to read precisely the caracteristics of these parts (like Frequency or PSU)

Thanks again !
bagusprs avatar
@Shenlong: its not a dumb question relax haha... i recommend u with i5 9400f bcos, i thought you are going for like more budget option.
if you can afford going for the i7 9700f i think its best that you change the board first, at least b460m and get i5 10400f instead with newer socket, since its more likely survive in the future with better and newer version of board. that board can last you up to 2 years in the future. or at least 2 generation of intel chipset. just for the sake of compatibility.

but it definitely depends on your budget needs. for gaming i5 is fine, that 10400f with 6c 12t is a beast anyway,. and you can afford going for maybe another newer nvidia card like RTX 3050 or whatever they called their newer card is. newer board with i5 i think it also cost around 350$

so my opinion is get some newer parts first. and upgrade later. cause h310m is going to get old fast, that board can only support up to 9th generation of intel. but if you fine with just i7 9700f then go for it.
no avatar
@bagusprs: Yeas you're right, as I'm not gonna spend a lot of time playing on the PC, I should go for the cheaper way lol, but the I5 you're talking about was also and idea i thought about 😀

I've taken note of your advice thank you :=)
Fasy X avatar
Hey buddy, i guess it's time for me to upgrade my gaming pc so, if anyone like to give there valuable advice then u r most welcome . My budget is 2600usd Dollar or 2lac rs.
💬 6
machiavellinium avatar
@Fasy X: My advice are simple : don't be cheap with the PSU 😉
Fasy X avatar
@machiavellinium: Hehe.. sure 😆 m go with Nvidia + intel
BardiaMGTGC avatar
@Fasy X: another advice for you
dont plan for upgrading past 4th gen ryzen
4th gen is the end of the line
Fasy X avatar
@BardiaMGTGC: I updated to i9
SamX avatar
@Fasy X: I'd advise you to wait for the next generation of Nvidia GPUs.
MithridatesX avatar
Processor: INTEL Core i5-9400F 2.90GHz
Memory: 24 giga ram
Videocard: GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Op. system: windosw 10
Motherboard: ASUS alaplap PRIME H310M-K R 2.0
this machine will be good next year as well ?
no avatar
I'm planning on building a gaming PC for the first time, and I want to know how good of a build this is to start off with.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti SC Ultra Gaming

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core, 12 thread unlocked processor

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard (ATX) AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 B450

EVGA Supernova 650 P2, 80+ Platinum 650W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Free Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 220-P2-0650-X1

ROSEWILL ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case, Gaming Case with Blue LED for Desktop / PC and 3 Case Fans Pre-Installed, Front I/O Access Ports (CHALLENGER S)

Windows 10

Is this good?
💬 1
machiavellinium avatar
@Porter88001: These are typical spec of gaming PC, i'd say go for it.
no avatar
does my motherboard support intel's 3generation i-series processors. my motherboars is msi p67a-gd55(b3). if so should I buy i5 3570k or i7 2700k ?
no avatar
Here is my pc.Very nice entry gaming pc for games such as Pubg/Apex legends/csgo (ez 300 fps for me)
i5 3470
8 gb 1600 mhz ram
gigabyte OC x3 r9 270x 2 gb
Even finished Metro exodus at 1680x1050 resolution no troubles at all.
xCube avatar
@spacewalker: Have you tried it once more in the PC of your friend? You can kill PC parts with electrostatic discharge if you don't handle them with care.
no avatar
Guys is this good for gaming?

Intel core I5-4460

NVIDIA GTX GEFORCE 1050 2GB

RAM 4G MAX 16 GB
hamza5433 avatar
Hey Guys!
Will this specification be enough to run most new games on 720p without problems? I'm aiming for 30fps for games like Battlefield 1, Fifa 18, Forza Horizon 3, COD WWII, AC Origins, PUBG and others.

Specs:
AMD A10-6700 APU 3.7Ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GTX750 2GB GDDR5
Windows 10-64bit
💬 2
KydThe16th avatar
@hamza5433: Yes it'll be enough for those games but gtx 750 isn't future proofing. You will struggle to play upcoming games even at lowest
AlyesRock avatar
@KydThe16th: yep i agree with Kyd, you will need to upgrade both GPU and especially the CPU if you want to play any upcoming AAA games.
KittenPower avatar
So basically my display is screwed. 😞

@SamX thanks for answering. 😀
💬 1
SamX avatar
@KittenPower: You're welcome. 😀
SamX avatar
I think this is what happened:

Your laptop display was screwed up by the "3rd party service center". The flickering was a hardware issue; unlike something like the DX12 render flicker in ROTTR's DLC. This caused the display to overheat and since it's a laptop, the heat spread to the whole system. Once a CPU (and many other components) reaches its heat limit it automatically stops working, to prevent any physical damage to your hardware. Resulting in "No warning or blue screen. Just poof.".

This explains why it happened to any game (no matter how hardware intensive it is) because it was just the display malfunctioning.
KittenPower avatar
So quite a while ago my laptop broke. It broke in few places but no major damage. I used it to check for any hardware damage and saw none. Just needed a little chassis fixing. Sent the laptop to the service center (it was a 3rd party service center cause there was no company provided service center in our area).

Anyway, fast forward 3 day. They returned my laptop and then the issue started. First I thought it was cooling issue. So I cleaned the cooler. But the problem stayed.

The problem was my laptop would overheat for no reason. And also my laptops display would flicker in bright red,blue,green or any sort of bright color. And during the flickering the temp of CPU skyrockets and reaches T.J. max under minutes. And while gaming when my character is really hurt the screen goes red and display starts flickering. And after another 4-5 minutes of playing games the laptop would have a sudden FPS drop to about 5-6 FPS and then go back up to normal. This happens to any games. From Unreal Gold (1998) to COD MW2. After FPS back to normal the laptop would run for maximum 5 second and then either the screen freezes and I have to forcefully shutdown manually or the laptop just shuts down. No warning or blue screen. Just poof.

After a month I decided to connect my old monitor and the problem was gone. Literally. And there is no crashing issue or any type of CPU temp spike. And the laptop never even crashed whatsoever.

So my question is was it the laptop display? If it was how can that cause that much trouble?
Moon_Breaker avatar
As I mentioned, he could play future games smoothly on that machine (i5, RX 480 4GB, 8GB DDR) with mostly high settings at 720p, but definitely not at 1080p.

Even I don't think I will run new games (2019 -2020) at 1080p - high settings, and I have a 7700K+GTX1070+16GB DDR4.

So all jokes aside, yes he will enjoy future games at resolution 720p, at 1080p not so sure.
no avatar
Hello everyone. Can you tell me if this laptop Medion Erazer can run WoW Legion and Battle for Azeroth on medium or low settings without any bugs/lags (FPS 50+ all times)?
i5-2410M 3MB Cache up to 2.9 GHz max turbo
4GB RAM 1600 MHz (I can add 4GB more)
GTX 460M 1.5GB DDR5 192 bit
SSD Kingston
I don't have money to buy better one and I can buy this laptop. Will this satisfy my needs? I just play world of warcraft and I would like to play on medium and if needed on low without any breaks.
Thanks!!
bambam112686 avatar
he would definitely need to upgrade his CPU within the next 3 yrs, and I recommend upgrading from 8GB to 16GB of RAM as soon as you can...............Mass Effect Andromeda is 12 GB RAM recommended............... once upon a time, 5 yrs ago, 8 GB was alot of RAM but even now Windows 10 x64 requires around 1.5 GB just to operate and maybe more depending on if you run uTorrent or some anti-virus or cleaner such as ASC in the background............... mine consumes about 2.3 GB just idling, but Im running uTorrent, ASC, Nexus Mod Manager, and few other minor programs in the background at all times............ the AMD RX 480 is a damn good card, I run two of them with an FX-8350 8-core cpu.......... and while they are good cards, a single GTX 1080 is actually faster than 2 RX 480s by about 4-5 fps.............. so the 480 would be good for now and for yrs to come, but Id shoot for a 1070 or 1080 when you do get the chance................ even the new RX 580 is still a mid-level card for real, but AMD has a beast GPU in the works according to their Head of R&D, Lisa Su............ she claims it will perform slightly faster than the 1080 ti and be optimized for VR and have struck up deals with several companies to optimize new games for Crossfire configs
BestKiller avatar
Of Course lol RX 480 is a strong card and its enough for another 2-3 years and that i5 is good...
Its you funny not him lol 😆 720p lol its RX 480
Even a gtx 750 ti can play new games low to medium settings.
Moon_Breaker avatar
For 2-3 years more, new games on high settings, with 8GB RAM, 4GB GPU and an old I5 CPU ?
That was funny mate. 😃
Well maybe if he is playing at 720p, but still, on high settings... I wouldn't bet on that.
bagusprs avatar
its a good pc parts ..
it would definitely run every games on high (for now)
this pc would definitely would last for 2-3 years more..

maybe an upgrade to the cpu is not necessary for now since its still can hold up..
but if u ask where ,u should upgrade the parts too? definitely the cpu (so it can run other stuff too like editing and stuff)😉
other parts are good.. good luck 😉
no avatar
about to purchase these parts for a computer, any input is appreciated ! 😀

Processor - Intel core i5-3450 3.1GHz (already owned)
GPU - AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
Memory - 8GB
Motherboard - ASRock P67 Pro3

How well will this run with the most demanding games at high settings?
Are there any changes that i should make?
And how many years till I will need to make some sort of upgrade?
Thank you for any help
KittenPower avatar
Alright,I think I will have to make a budget increase.

@Moon_Breaker

Thanks for the suggestion.
Moon_Breaker avatar
I still suggest SSD + HDD, even if You only have money for a 120GB budget SSD, it will amaze You if it's Your first time.

[LINK]
SamX avatar
Yeah it'll work better than a normal HDD. But like Moon_Breaker said, having a combo of HDD and SSD is the best idea.
KittenPower avatar
I will have only 1 storage drive.For now.

So I want to be faster,more data and also price sufficient.

SSD is currently is a little bit off the list.So is 7200 RPM Hybrid HDD will work.You know,like faster than normal 7200 RPM HDD?
bagusprs avatar
@moon_breaker yup exactly.. always a perfect combination
Moon_Breaker avatar
Average HDD for storage, SSD for OS and programs (and for games preferably so it can load faster)
SamX avatar
Hybrid Hard Drives are cheaper but I'd prefer a SSD.
KittenPower avatar
In comparison of price which would you prefer?Hybrids or SSD?
SamX avatar
Hybrid Hard Drives offer the capacity of HDDs paired with the performance of SSDs. They're faster than Hard Drives but slower than Solid-State Drives.
KittenPower avatar
Is Hybrid HDD is better than HDD or SSD?
Moon_Breaker avatar
@markberken

Enter to the BIOS ,and see if the video output in on PCI-E \ PCI \ PEG (Your video card) and not on IGP (Integrated Graphics Chip)
toceto avatar
Yes, thank you very much! 😆
SamX avatar
Did you mean ASRock H81M-VG4? Yes, it is compatible with GeForce GTX 1050.
toceto avatar
Hey, guys. Can you please tell me is the Asrock H81-VG4 motherboard compatible with the GTX 1050 graphics cards. I really want to buy the card but I don't have enough money to upgrade my motherboard. Please help. 😕 😊
no avatar
Could someone help me diagnose an issue with my new pc? I hooked everything up and powered her on, everything seems to be working fine, but I have a "no post" issue. My monitor recognizes that there is something powered on at the other end of the HDMI cord but is not receiving a signal from it. I swapped my GPU into another system and it works fine, however I am unable to do the same with the CPU and Motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Moon_Breaker avatar
@vikas2000

I hope I read something very wrong and 25 k INR is not equivalent with 370 USD, couse You won't get too far with that kind of money these days... 😃
AlyesRock avatar
@vikas2000 not sure about the price in your country but if your budget is limited get something like GTX950 or RX460 at least GTX750ti with 8gb ram and a good i3 or i5 and you will be just fine.
Fasy X avatar
U need to increase your budget if u want to play today and upcoming games with playable fps on good video settings
vikas2000 avatar
Suggest me a gaming pc for 25 k INR
sandipbiswas420 avatar
Help me! Even after disabled pagefile games using a huge amount of pagefile which causes shutter
MasterMax96 avatar
What is difference beetwen having 1600MHz RAM or 1866MHz RAM, because when I was builiding my machine I went for 1866 because the price was the same as 1600. And I don't think there is much difference but more is better most of the time.
sandipbiswas420 avatar
Help me! I have 8 GB ram. Is turning off pagefile make my pc faster or crash?
KittenPower avatar
Ha ha ha...😆

but GTX 1080 is 849$ which is higher than expected price would be.😕
bagusprs avatar
of course.. thats why they said GTX 1080 is so overpriced.. because hell yeah !
we already got Intel HD graphics..thats why😂

Forgotten passwordRegister